The Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition (TOAE), a charitable not-for-profit organization, located at 401 Richmond Street, is seeking to hire an Executive Director (ED).
TOAE is an annual juried, three-day art exhibition showcasing contemporary fine art and craft on the first weekend of July after Canada Day, held in front of City Hall in the heart of downtown Toronto.
TOAE serves as a fresh-air alternative to conventional art exhibitions and galleries. Approximately 400 artists participate by exhibiting fine art and craft in tents set up on the Square, and tens of thousands of visitors attend the annual exhibition. Side by side, established artists, undiscovered talents and innovative students sell their work directly to the public and make connections with other artists, the media, art dealers, collectors and the merely curious.
TOAE is at an important point in its history. After more than 50 successful years, TOAE is looking to the future. TOAE is seeking a highly motivated candidate who understands best practices in arts programming, non-profit management, event management, marketing and fundraising. The successful candidate will love the arts, have vision and creativity, embrace and push for innovation, and help maintain a strong organization and create a compelling and relevant exhibition under the guidance of the Board.
Reporting directly the Board Chair or his/her designate, and working closely with a volunteer Board of Directors, the successful candidate will begin as early as October 15 2013.
Salary Range: 45-50K
Term: Full-time position, based on 40 hours per week (1 year contract, with the possibility of renewal)
- Responsible for overall management and strategy to execute a successful main exhibition including Art Now and other programming, and Best Of exhibition
- Responsible for creating and maintaining excellent relations and reporting systems with Chair and members of the volunteer Board of Directors
- Attend monthly Executive Committee meetings with executive members of the Board, and selected Board committee meetings
- Attend and present ED report at each monthly meeting of the BoardManage all human resource matters, including office staff, interns, event support staff, and TOAE's volunteer program
- Responsible for management of TOAE database and all hard-copy files and records
- Oversee all IT functions in the office, including managing TOAE's website, and maintenance of computers and other office equipment
- Work closely with the Board of Directors to research and develop other sources of funding and meet with potential major sponsors Responsible for all major sponsorship request campaigns
- Responsible for grant applications and sourcing new grant opportunities
- Seek Award donors for artists Awards program
- Work closesly with the Board Treasurere and bookkeeper to prepare financial reports and budgets, and year-end audit
- Manage all financial obligations for TOAE including payments, refunds and deposits, bank accounts, investments and financial transactions
Exhibition and Programming
- Responsible for successful overall operations of exhibition
- Oversee and support the work of the Director of Events with respect to submissions and jurying, award judges, on-site sponsors and particpants, and on-site coordination and staffing/volunteersWork closely with Board Committee to implement Art Now and other programming
- Responsible for Awards program and awards presentation and receptionResponsible for exhibition close-out processes
- Oversee planning and execution of Best Of exhibition, with support of Director of Events
Communication, Public Relations and Marketing
- Oversee and manage all outgoing and incoming communication to TOAE office
- Build and maintain excellent relations with the broader arts community, and specifically the arts and crafts communities
- Responsible for creating and managing all advertising and marketing programs and editorial media campaigns, with help from selected Board members, and serve as the primary contact for all media representatives
- Manage the design, editing and writing of all promotional materials in a timely fashion including exhibition program guide
- Responsible for social media Represent TOAE and the exhibition at internal and external events and functions
- Promote the exhibition to students through visits to, and formal presentations at, universities and colleges.
- And Other Duties as assigned
Experience and Qualifications:
- At least 3-5 years experience in a senior management/ leadership position of not-for-profit arts organization
- A degree in Art, Art History, Arts Administration or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Direct knowledge of contemporary visual art, especially in the GTA
- Experience working with a volunteer Board of Directors and committees
- Experience managing staff and volunteers
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Event planning and event management experience, including event and project budgets
- Successful corporate fundraising and grant-writing experienceKnowledge of website management an asset
- Public relations and media experience an asset
- Experience managing social media networks and communication
- Computer skills, including Microsoft Office, Photoshop, word processing, spreadsheets, email, data management on a Mac computer
Assets and Qualities
- Well-organized, energetic, creative, positive thinker
- Comfortable in multi-tasked, fast-paced, deadline-driven work environments
- Ability to work flexible and sometimes long hours in the weeks leading up to and including the exhibition
- Assured presence and engaging manner on camera and speaking publicly
- French speaking and writing an asset
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume to the Hiring Committee at: Jobs@torontooutdoorart.org
Applications must be received by 5pm on September 25, 2013
Cover letters should clearly demonstrate how you meet the required experience and qualifications. Failure to do so may result in the rejection of your application.
TOAE is an equal-opportunity employer. Thank you to all those that apply, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries please.