Call for Artist Submissions: Hamilton's Supercrawl
Supercrawl is pleased to announce an opportunity for artists to be showcased as part of the 2012 festival which takes place from September 14th to 15th. Supercrawl is an annual event that celebrates the unique mix of arts organizations, cultures, businesses and creative people along James Street North in Hamilton. Last year Supercrawl attracted 50,000 attendees. In 2012, it is expected to draw over 70,000 people to the area.
Supercrawl's Curatorial Committee invites artists working in a wide range of media to propose works for display in exterior places during the event. Work selected by the Curatorial Committee will be shown within the street closure from King Street to Murray Street along James Street North. The Committee is interested in all media including:
1) Outdoor installation art / sculpture
2) Video (projection-based, no sound)
4) Performance art
5) Public interventions
7) New media
Please note that a priority will be placed on that which can be seen, performed, or executed outside and that video content will be shown after sunset on outdoor screens.
Please send via email:
- Artist's statement (maximum 250 words).
- 5-10 images/stills/sketches of the proposed work (jpegs, max 100 kB).
- Brief physical description of the work.
- CV or resume with mailing address, phone number and email contact information.
- A clip, link or digital copy of any video (10 minutes max), if applicable.
- Title, year, medium, dimensions for each proposed piece.
- Installation requirements including supplies, set-up time and number of assistants needed.
- Location suggestion for your work (optional).
- A statement as to whether the proposed work has been exhibited before. If it has, please include details as to where and when.
The Supercrawl Curatorial Committee is open to creatively diverse work that has visual impact, durability and significant artistic presence. Artists and their work will be identified and publicized as official Supercrawl selections during the event, on the Supercrawl website and in select media releases. Artists chosen for Supercrawl will receive a stipend. The committee will contact selected artists approximately six weeks after the March 1st, 2012 deadline.
Send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org Subject Line: YOUR NAME, SUPERCRAWL Art
Deadline for submissions is March 1st 2012
Applicants are encouraged to attend an artist information meeting on February 8, 2011 from 7-8:30 pm, in the Sonic Unyon building, 2nd floor boardroom, 22 Wilson St. in Hamilton, where committee members will review the sites available for installations, and will answer applicant's questions.
Max Streicher, Giants Ascending, 2011, Recycled billboard vinyl, installed at Supercrawl 2011