Call for applications: Emerging Curator
InterAccess' 12th Annual Emerging Artist Exhibition
Deadline: February 1, 2012
Since its inception in 2001, InterAccess' annual Emerging Artist Exhibition has showcased new media work by post-secondary students and recent graduates. Curated and organized by a selected emerging curator, this initiative offers young artists and curators professional experience and exposure. Past exhibitions have been reviewed by The Globe & Mail, The Toronto Star and The National Post. Former participating artists and curators have gone on to work and exhibit in such institutions as the Doris McCarthy Gallery at the University of Toronto, Xpace Gallery, The Banff Centre, Western Front, Trinity Square Video, Plug In Institute for Contemporary Art, Space Media Arts in London UK, FACT in Liverpool, and Transmediale in Berlin. This call for an emerging curator pertains to InterAccess' 12th Annual Emerging Artist Exhibition, which will open in July 2012.
Nature and Scope of Position:
The primary responsibility of the Curatorial Intern is the development of the annual Emerging Artist Exhibition. Reporting to the Programming Coordinator and supervised by the Executive Director, the Curatorial Intern is given the opportunity to learn about all aspects of programming within an artist-run, media arts centre environment. The Curatorial Internship typically requires up to10 hours per week beginning in February 2012. Extended hours will be required during the weeks leading up to the opening of the exhibition in June 2012. The Curatorial Internship is an ideal placement for an undergraduate or graduate student looking for hands-on experience of the curatorial process and, more generally, of the gallery environment. The internship is unsalaried but InterAccess offers an honorarium upon the successful completion of the exhibition.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Develop a coherent and relevant theme for the exhibition.
- Select approximately five works from new media students or recent graduates within Canada.
- Assist in drafting an exhibition budget.
- Write a curatorial statement and extended essay.
- Manage the installation of the exhibition in June/July 2012.
- Assist with other duties at InterAccess, which may include organizing submissions for review, assisting with distribution of listings and other communications, assisting with installation and event set-up, assisting with InterAccess' workshop series, researching materials for upcoming exhibitions and events, general office assistance and sitting the gallery during the Emerging Artist Exhibition.
The ideal candidate will be an undergraduate or graduate student in a related field of study. Recent graduates will also be considered.
Applicants must have:
- Strong knowledge of contemporary media and visual art practices, especially within Canada.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills (Mac environment).
- Superior organizational ability.
- The ability to deal with diverse publics.
- The ability to work in a self-directed manner as well as in a team environment.
Submissions must include:
- A current CV
- Cover letter detailing your experiences and interest in media arts (1 page)
- 2 letters of reference
Please send submissions in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
InterAccess will only accept email applications for this position.
InterAccess is committed to the principles of Employment Equity and encourages applicants to self-identify.
InterAccess Electronic Media Arts Centre
9 Ossington Avenue